Frequently Asked Questions

Enroll in our driving school in Copperas Cove, TX

How to Prepare for a Drive Test

General Information

What is a Texas Graduated Driver License?
I just moved here to Texas. Can I get a Texas license with my unexpired license/learner's permit that I possess?
My Driver License has expired, how do I renew it?
What is needed for a Driver License Reinstatement?
What are the DPS fees for a learners permit/drivers license?

Teens (14-17 Yrs)

How do I get a Hardship License?

A hardship license (previously known as Minor Restricted Driver License or MRDL) may be issued to a minor who establishes the necessity to drive and may have restrictions based on the qualifying hardship.

An application for a hardship license (DL-77) must be executed by an authorized adult on behalf of the minor. Both the adult and the minor must sign the form and present it in person at the driver license office. Only a parent, guardian, or person having custody of a minor may make application on behalf of a minor. If the minor does not have a parent, guardian, or custodian then an employer or county judge may apply on behalf of the minor.

A person applying for a hardship license must:

  1. Be at least 15 years of age but not more than 18.
  2. Complete and pass a driver education course (a driver education course includes both the classroom and behind the wheel phase), vision, knowledge, and driving exams.
  3. Verification of enrollment if enrolled in high school
  4. Meet all other requirements for a first time driver license (original) applicant. For more information, please visit the DPS website.

DPS may require supporting documentation or conduct an investigation to confirm the information provided on the application.

DPS will issue a hardship license if it is determined that:

  1. Failure to issue the hardship license will result in an unusual economic hardship for the family of the minor applicant.
  2. The hardship license is necessary due to an illness, disability, or death of a family member.
  3. The hardship license is necessary because the minor applicant is enrolled in a vocational education program that requires a license for participation.
  4. A court order requiring issuance of the hardship license is presented.

To apply for a hardship license, bring all of the following to the DPS:

  1. All the paperwork and documents needed to meet regular licensing requirements.
  2. A parent or legal guardian.
  3. A completed DL 77 application (can be downloaded or picked up at any DPS office.
Can my teen take driver education at 14?

Teens looking to drive can start a driver’s education course as soon as they turn 14 years old – but they must wait until they are 15 years of age to be eligible for a learner permit. The learners permit allows teenagers the ability to drive their vehicle for the sole purpose of learning to drive – they’re required at all times to drive with a licensed passenger aged 21 or older.

What does my teen need for a learner permit?

After the student has completed the first 6 hours of class either at Arrive Alive of Texas Driving Academy or Online, they will receive the DE-964 certificate. If class is taken online, the online course provider will issue this certificate by mail. This certificate will indicate that they are enrolled in a state approved driver education course. If student is taking class at Arrive Alive of Texas Driving Academy, they will take the written permit test at the driving school. They will take the DE-964 certificate to the Department of Public Safety (DPS) along with other legal documents (i.e. birth certificate, social security, verification of enrollment form, etc.) to obtain a learner’s permit. This permit will allow them to drive with a licensed driver, age 21 or older, who is in the car with them.

DPS Requirements:

  • Social Security Card
  • Birth Certificate
  • Third form of ID (high school ID, or military ID)
  • Verification of Enrollment form (TEA form) from high school Valid for 30 days (90 days in summer)
  • DL-14 from DPS office
  • 2 forms of Proof of Residency
What does my teen need for a drivers license?

A student is eligible to receive a driver’s license when two conditions have been met:

  1. They have held their permit for a minimum of six months from the date they receive it, and
  2. They are 16 years old.

Road Test Mandatory Items

  1. Completed DE964 or ADE1317
  2. VOE within the last 30 days
  3. 30 hours log (needs to also have DE964)
  4. Teen Impact Certificate (DE964) or Adult Impact Certificate (ADE1317) within the last 90 days

ALL individuals will take a driving test either with a Third Party Tester or at DPS and must pass in order to obtain a driver’s license.

My Teen is Home-schooled, how do I get the verification of enrollment?


What do I need for a learner permit?

Adult drivers between the ages of 18 to 24 can take either the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation certified 32-hour classroom & 14 hour in-car instruction or the 6-hour adult course in order to obtain a drivers license. Adults 25 or older just need a learner’s permit, however, driver education is highly recommended.

If you choose the 32-hour classroom & 14-hour in-car instruction, the written test will be given and if you pass, the results will be recorded on a DE 964 usually after the 3rd day in order for you to get your learner’s permit. You would continue through the rest of the course until completion of both classroom & in-car. You also have requirement to log 30 hours of driving with someone who is 21 or over and possesses a driver’s license. This course is highly recommended if you have no driving experience.

The Adult Exclusive is a 6-hour classroom course. At the end of the 6 hour instruction, you will take the written test and if you pass, the results will be recorded on a ADE 1317. After you receive your certificate, you can get your learner’s permit or schedule for a road-test with DPS to test for your license. We offer full sessions that include 6 hour classroom and 8 hours in-car instruction. We also offer either classroom only or in-car only. The in-car lessons can be done after the individual obtains their permit. We also have additional lessons available if necessary.

All adults are required by law to complete the MANDATORY 1 HOUR “Impact Texas Young Drivers” (ITYD) class. This class can be found on our RESOURCES page. STUDENTS MUST NOT TAKE THIS CLASS MORE THAN 90 DAYS BEFORE THEY OBTAIN THEIR DRIVER LICENSE.